Board Game Night Ideas
How to Host a Board Game Night?!
Board Game Night is a perfect way to spend time together with your friends or family - there will never be an awkward silence and your guests will be entertained throughout the night. Another good thing about a Board Game Night is that Board Game industry has evolved a lot in the last 10 - 15 years, but most of the people only know Monopoly and Risk, it is a great opportunity to introduce them with games that are really fun!
To host the Perfect Board Game Night just follow these steps:
1. Decide what Board Games you will be playing.
2. Depending on the number of players needed for the chosen Board games, invite that many people. Example if you have chosen to play two board games and 1 is up to 4 player, the other one is up to 5 player game, invite 4 people (including yourself).
3. Have some food and drinks. Try to avoid messy foods, so your board games won't get dirty.
4. If you feel very inspired, you can always impress your guests with some themed decorations - see Board Game Night Ideas below for inspiration.
5. Surprise your guests with prizes for the winners, especially if you have younger players.
Our Top Board Games in different categories
Games for more than 5 people / Party games
1. Saboteur and Saboteur 2 - fun game, simple rules, and you always have a new role to play whether you are the good, bad or neutral dwarf
2. 6 nimmt! - very easy to teach this game, perfect for a big group of people (up to 10 people can play), your only goal is to avoid taking points, which is not as easy as it sounds. (We know this game seems to be in German, but the actual game is just cards with numbers, so all you need is to learn the rules once, read English rules here)
3. Dix it - Dixit is a beautifully illustrated card game of mystery, guessing, and creativity.
4. Coyote (by Spartaco Albertarelli) - a game hard to find, but if you do, it is a fun guessing / deduction game
5. Zombie Dice - you are a zombie, who wants braaains - more brains than any of your zombie buddies. This game has the easiest rules ever!
The Best Family games
1. Halli Galli - quick and easy game for any age, where you have to react faster than the others
2. Escape the Room - if you like a little mystery, this game will be perfect for you! You can only play it once, though!
3. Ticket to Ride - very easy to learn, yet interesting game to play again and again, where you have to collect cards of various types of train cars and then use them to claim railway routes
4. Magic Labyrinth - fun family game, where you need to find the lost magic objects while trying to avoid bumping into the invisible labyrinth
5. Hey, that's my Fish! - your task is to catch as many fish as possible with your penguins, but be careful because other players will try to block you
Easy Games for a Board Game Night
1. Dominion - easy rules, but this game comes with a warning - don't get addicted! Yes, it is that good!
2. Stone Age - a game where you live in this time and work as hard as our ancestors did. Is beautifully illustrated, easy to learn with lots of options to win the game
3. Small World - the name says it all, there is not enough space for everyone on the board, so you have to attack other races/ players to kick them out and have your own race on it
Harder Games for a Board Game Night (involves strategy)
1. Carcassone - tile - placement game, that is easy to learn, but it gets more complicated if you choose to play more strategically
2. Last Will - a fun game where you receive a lot of money at the beginning of the game, that you have to spend as fast as possible, if only it would be like this in real life!
3. Settlers of Catan - a classic since 1995, but still is so good that if you haven't played it yet, it is a must!
Best 2 player Board Games
1. Quoridor - actually this is a 2 or 4 player game, but it is perfect for 2 payers, where you chose to move forward or block the opponent while trying to reach the other end first
2. Lost cities - the aim is to mount profitable expeditions to one or more of the five lost cities. Fast moving, easy and really interesting game!
3. Raptor - did you know that there is still a park where you can find some dinosaurs? Luckily the scientists are on this case. A fun game where player 1 is the dinosaur team and player 2 is the scientist team, who will win this battle?
If you have great photos from your board game night, we will be happy if you send them in to update our inspiration gallery!